I don’t know why it never occurred to me to make my own granola before? It is sooooo ridiculously eeeeasy to make and moreish. I guess I just fell into the habit of buying packaged granola because it was easy, but I always grimaced when I read how high the fat and sugar contents were. For these reasons, I only had granola as a guilty snack and not as a main meal………until now.
I decided to make my own granola after I had a craving for some one day but only had rolled oats at home. The the lightbulb above my head slowly, slowwwwwwly, brightened as it dawned on me that I could actually make my own. After a quick internet search I landed on an easy granola recipe by Elizabeth Rider, who by the way has an amazing inspirational blog so check her out. It took me about 5 minutes to mix the ingredients together ( I added my own tweaks of course) and then I threw it into the oven for ten minutes and that was it! After just one bite I was in love with the results and since then I’ve been making my own granola. I highly recommended making your own because it’s so much healthier and also cheaper. So use your creativity and experiment by adding sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, orange juice/extract or even dark chocolate. You can either use the original recipe (click here) or my version below. I hope you enjoy it and do let me know how it turns out.
P.S. Don’t forget to subscribe: insert your name & email below and click the subscribe button.
- 2 cups raw, whole rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted almonds
- ½ cup unsweetened dried fruit (I used craisins)
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil (you may need to melt this in a microwave if it’s solid at room temperature)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract or almond extract
- 1 large pinch fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 150º C.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix very well to ensure everything is coated with the coconut oil.
- Spread the mixture in a thin layer on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until very lightly toasted. Be careful not to burn it otherwise it will taste nasty! Trust me, I’ve done it.
- Cool before serving or storing. ( You can store in an an airtight container for up to 2 weeks).